Friday, February 6, 2009

Solarz and Ferrisi set NYc subway record

Dig math and records? This one is for you.

I think I would rather try and eat a record amount of pizza.
clipped from blogs.wsj.com
Namely, “I had access to certain programs I could use, and I had access to people with backgrounds in graph theory.” But he didn’t have access to computing power that could handle a number as big as 468!, or 468 multiplied by 467 multiplied by 466 and so on to 2 and 1.
That’s the number of possible routes, if you allow any possible route, even one where the second station is nowhere near the first. It’s also a number so big that I had trouble finding software to compute it; best I can tell, it’s about 144 followed by 1,046 zeroes, or a whole lot bigger than a googol (Google’s namesake, one followed by 100 zeroes)
Chris Solarz and Matt Ferrisi, colleagues at an investment-management company they’d prefer not be named, received widespread publicity when they announced they were targeting the Guinness world record of 24 hours, 54 minutes and three seconds
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment